Family Photo Session Locations
Picking a family photography location isn’t hard. When in doubt, choose your home! A local park or urban area can also be a great spot.
Keep reading below for more reasons homes are a great family photography location, as well as other ideas.
In Home Family Sessions
- Your home best tells your story! When family members look at these images one day, they will love seeing your space. It will only augment the images.
- Family members can easily pop in and out of in home family sessions. Kids can take a break and go play. Spouses can also take a break and then rejoin the session.
- Lighting in homes is interesting and can really enhance the portraits.
- In home family photos include your yard or neighborhood park–you get the best of both worlds–indoor and outdoor photos!
- If the weather is bad, you do not have to reschedule.
- All newborn sessions take place in your home.
- No corralling kids into a car and rushing off someplace.
In home family sessions are less stressful, and do not require an immaculate home. Read here for tips on preparing for an in home family session.
Some clients want to take advantage of scenic Colorado in their photos. How to pick a spot?
- Is there a meaningful park? I got married at Chautauqua in Boulder–holding a family session there makes total sense to me, and the images would be even more meaningful!
- What time of day will your photo session take place? If you have young kids, they should determine when you have your session. A park with shade is your best option if you can’t meet very early or late in the day. This will make everyone look their best and also prevent squinting.
- Do you want privacy during your session? Many Boulder parks are teeming with people on the weekends these days. Consider a local park by you instead of up Flagstaff, in South Boulder, etc.
- Safety first! If you have several young kids, heading to a river area in early June is a safety hazard.
Some park setting ideas: Beautiful Places in Boulder Colorado for Terrific Photos and 3 Favorite Boulder County Fall Photo Session Locations.
Local Downtown Area
Maybe your home or nature isn’t your thing–there are many amazing downtown areas that are great photo spots.
- RiNo anyone? Denver has many neighborhoods that work for family photos. Pearl Street in Boulder, Old Town Fort Collins, Old Town Longmont, downtown Louisville, downtown Golden…so many options.
- Again, is there an urban spot that is more meaningful to you? One couple got married at Denver’s City Park, so we took family photos there on their 10 year wedding anniversary.
The Big Mountains
We can head into the Big Mountains (Winter Park, Breckenridge, Frisco, etc.) for family photos. I do charge a travel fee if I further than an hour around Longmont, Colorado.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment